jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: Contributing PHP port of JSR 170
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 11:57:12 GMT
Hi,

Markus Nix wrote:
> With that in mind, we are happy to offer the PHP port
> of JSR 170, implemented entirely in PHP 5 as a
> contribution into the jackrabbit community.

Very nice! It would be great if we could extend the JSR 170 API into
other languages as well. I'd especially like to see at least some amount
of standardization for concepts like sessions, namespaces, the
hierarchical data structure, explicit node types, versioning, etc. Your
contribution seems like a good step forward.

(Some design concerns: Your port is a direct mapping of the Java API
into PHP, and thus cannot easily be backported to PHP 4. I'm also a bit
worried about how natural the Javaish API feels in PHP.)

The port is based on an earlier version of the JCR API. I already
started working on upgrading it to the latest version (0.16.4.1). I'll
send a patch in a while.

> Björn and I already signed the CLA (which in the meantime
> hopefully found its way to the Apache HQ).

Good! Unless there are any objections, I'd like to add your contribution
as a contrib/phpcr subproject in Jackrabbit. Do you plan to keep working
on the code?

The port is currently licensed under LGPL, which prevents it from being
included in Jackrabbit. Can you relicense the code to the Apache License
for me to commit it? The standard ALv2 copyright header used in
Jackrabbit can be found in HEADER.txt within the Jackrabbit root directory.

BR,

Jukka Zitting