jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <Felix.Meschber...@day.com>
Subject Re: common libraries for jcr and jackrabbit
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 10:04:33 GMT
Hi,

Tobias Strasser schrieb:

>hi,
>as discussed in other threads, there is a need for commons or helper
>libraries, containing either JCR related or Jackrabbit related stuff.
>for example most of the Value stuff could now be swaped out to a
>common jcr helpers lib. further some escaping, formatting and
>serializing stuff. The problem is that a lot of those depend on
>internal jackrabbit classes like QName, Path and UUID. so those would
>also need to go into the common jackrabbit lib.

I would think so. I would greatly appreciate if some more classes would
be provided there. For example the ISO8601 class, which additionally
might implement the Format interface or even DateFormat abstract class.

>or we should start thinking of a jackrabbit-api. that would contain
>also those classes.
>
>however:
>- what is the general feeling about this?

I see no reason for a Jackrabbit API except perhaps regarding the
NodeType Management stuff, which would be nice if it would be available
in a way that for example the RMI layer could also provide those without
relying on core Jackrabbit.

I providing common API, great care should be taken to create separate
libraries for UI (e.g. Servlets) and non-UI (e.g. Path, QName) stuff.

>- what would be the names of those libs; is commons-jcr allowed, or is
>this reserved to jakarta projects?
>- is it ok for jackrabbit core to depend on commons-jackrabbit and commons-jcr ?

I would definitely say so, otherwise the hole point of reusing common
classes would be void.

Regards
Felix