jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Performance issues of using "object" repository rather than "orm"
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 14:25:17 GMT
Philippe Girolami wrote:
> The serverside just ran a story about a transactional
> connector to a non-tx filestore, maybe it's worth checking out although the
> performance hit might invalidate this scenario vs DB

do you have the url at hand?
commons transaction might also be useful:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/transaction/file/index.html

> Just to sum it up : when using a database-backed PM, jackrabbit (currently)
> never uses clever SQL queries to access the content model. Ie, everything
> goes through lucene or UUID.

in general this is correct. the query implementation does not rely on
the persistence manager in use. by design, the query handler is not able
to see the persistence manager implementation. though it would be
technically possible to write a query handler that is aware of a
database content store, and translate the jcr queries into native
database queries.

what clever SQL queries do you have in mind?

> In this case, I can't think of why fs would not
> be more performant than db. Is this your thinking ?

yes. all the tests i've seen so far showed that a fs based PM performs
at least as good as a db based PM.

regards
  marcel