jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <Felix.Meschber...@day.com>
Subject Re: Dependency on cqfs-jackrabbit
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 13:08:09 GMT
Hi,

>both cqfs & cqfs-jackrabbit are runtime dependencies only
>and commented as such in project.xml. there's no problem
>of cyclic dependencies when building jackrabbit because
>both jars are automatically downloaded by maven from day's
>repository.

True, so these dependencies could be removed from the project.xml.

But they are in there because they are needed for the build-time tests.
So of tests are running during the builds the dependencies become more
than just runtime dependencies, they become build-time dependencies and
you are back where you started.

>i cannot see any urging technical reason why we should remove
>cqfs-jackrabbit and cqfs from the project.xml, especially so when
>considering its trade-off (doubling the runtime of the test cases :(.

There is of course no urging technical reason because we already have
the basic bootstrapping issue - call it a chicken and egg problem if you
wish - behind us.

It is just that cyclic dependencies between two projects are never good,
regardless of whether there is an urging technical reason to break it or
not.

Regarding the performance of the test cases: Use a decent operating
system such as Linux and you gain in overall performance :-)

Regards
Felix