jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Angela Schreiber <anch...@day.com>
Subject Re: webdav suggestion
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 09:23:07 GMT
hi david

> so while i agree that code duplication is not desirable, i would
> (until the situation with the helper classes is resolved) suggest
> to anyway duplicate the code to maintain the independence from
> jackrabbit.

i seems, you did not get my point: i suggested to have the
very common utility classes present in the jackrabbit core
in some separated package, so everyone can make use
of it without introducing unnecessary dependencies to the
core.

i had some of the utilities duplicated in the jcr-server
and i ended up removing most of them, because i was
tired of running after the changing api/jackrabbit.

so: what are the arguments against having a general
pool for common utilities in jackrabbit?

- valuehelper
- constants
- iteratorhelper
- etc...

those are things i would even expected to be part of
the api, since probably everyone building its
jsr170 impl will have those kind of helpers.

and sure: if someone provides utilities that are
better than those present in the jackrabbit core,
i'm not going to oppose :)

regards
angela