jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting "custom" objects from the repository?
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:28:01 GMT
hi daniel,

> I suppose most applications want to work with objects like mycms.User,
> mycms.PageTemplate, myapp.Book, etc., rather than directly with the tree
> of items that JCR shows. I don't see what's the intended way of doing
> this. With a concrete example: I would like to store page templates in
> the repository, which are complex and frequently used objects, so they
> shouldn't be recreated from a binary property (or from string string
> property, whatever) every time they are read from the repository (that
> is, for each page hits). I could use cache in front of JCR that caches
> the template objects, but how to ensue that the cache is in sync with
> the repository? Of course no hazards and unpredictable delays are
> allowed after the repository was modified.
> What's the planned way of doing things like this?
> (I know this is not a Jackrabbit but a JCR question and I apologize for
> that, but I didn't found a more suitable public list.)

if i understand you correctly i assume that you are talking about
an object-repository-mapping. this discussion has been started
quite a number of times, and i think the implementation should be
pretty straight forward, since jcr puts all the right pieces in to place.

to put this in relation to classical orm (like jdo, hibernate or ejb)
which are layers on top of jdbc which run against rdbms,
i would compare things like this:

1) jackrabbit plays the role of an rdbms implementation
2) jcr plays the role of jdbc

now, this practially means that your question is neither
directly a jcr (much like orm is nothing that the jdbc should
take care of) nor a jackrabbit question (rdbms would provide
underlying infastructure for orm) but i am sure there is
interest in the jackrabbit community to tackle this discussion.

anybody?

regards,
david