jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Workspaces
Date Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:14:11 GMT
hi ryan,

On Apr 10, 2005 6:19 AM, Ryan Dewell <ryan@dewell.org> wrote:
> Hi, I'm just diving into JR and so far so good.  I'm trying to understand
> some concepts, though, related to workspaces and the repository as a whole.
> Let's say I have a repository that looks like a file system with user
> directories:
> /jcr:root/x:users/x:jane/<STUFF>
> /jcr:root/x:users/x:bob/<STUFF>
> /jcr:root/x:system/<STUFF>
> I originally expected to be able to obtain a Session that is rooted at
> x:jane or x:bob, all from one global repository workspace.  But, what I'm
> seeing right now (through sleepy eyes) is that I'd have to give x:jane and
> x:bob different workspaces in repository.xml.  Is this correct?
it is correct that if you completely want to separate those user
directories (like a unix chroot) a workspace per user is one of the
intented ways to achieve that in jcr.

> If workspaces are the preferred (or only) way to get a Session rooted at a
> particular Node, then I guess I'm looking for a way to dynamically create
> workspaces at runtime without modifying repository.xml.  I see a
> createWorkspace in RepositoryImpl, but it is package private.
> Any ideas on this are appreciated.  I'm still wrapping my head around some
> of this as you can tell.  :)
workspace management has been identified as an
administrational task and has been excluded from
the jsr-170 v1.0 api (similar to for example nodetype
creation and management)

of course an implementation could (and in the case of
jackrabbit "should") offer a simple call to create workspaces, and
i think that the createWorkspace on WorkspaceImpl may be
what you are looking for.
[ http://www.google.com/search?q=jackrabbit+createWorkspace ;) ]

... but i guess so far we have not really structured an explicit "public"
jackrabbit api, that deals with functionality that goes beyond

does someone have a good suggestion how to solve that in general?

View raw message