jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Pickering <benpicker...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting "custom" objects from the repository?
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:27:29 GMT
I think some use cases would be useful here, to assess how much of a
problem / not-a-problem this is, and whether this is an area that is
so application-specific that a pre-specified "framework" is
inappropriate.

On the "no" side it's worth noting that building higher-level
abstractions on a JCR-compliant repository will be a lot easier than
on top of an RDBMS, thanks to the mechanisms that Julien mentions.

But on the "yes" side, I would certainly prefer to deal with
higher-level objects, and I would also appreciate an ecosystem of
pre-written ones to help me.  Does this imply that a framework is
needed?

I started to talk about this on jackrabbit-dev previously
( http://www.mail-archive.com/jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00639.html
)
where I talked about a "TableAtom" (in JCR parlance this would be a
TableProperty, I guess)  that wrapped a Property and added a
high-level API to get/set table entries in a table encoded as a
string.  I didn't get a lot of interest in that thread :) but I think
it's a valid idea, and one that has caused me *real-life pain* in the
past.

So: an issue or not an issue?

--
Cheers,