jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: cluster and cache question
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:28:24 GMT

Thought that might get a response :)

But should something like the cache implementation be a core component?
The SessionItemStateManager is core, I agree, but the resource that it
uses to store nodes (its cache) could be configurable. How that is
implemented would be up to the user, this would free them to make the
decision about using clustering or other caching techniques whilst
preserving JackRabbits own SessionItemStateManagement code.

What do you think ?

Ta

Si

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Guggisberg [mailto:stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 04 April 2005 17:14
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: cluster and cache question

On Apr 4, 2005 11:55 AM, Simon Gash <Simon.Gash@gossinteractive.com>
wrote:
> On the other hand the rest of you might want to access a session
> across a cluster, I think that would significantly increase the
> complexity of the design. I'm a fan of IOC (inversion of control)
> wouldn't the best solution be a pluggable design so that the
> JackRabbit users can provide their own particular brand (Tangsol, OS
> ...) ? Who could possibly be against a pluggable design :)

i am ;)
don't get me wrong, i am not against pluggable design in general but i
am strictly against making *core* components pluggable. jackrabbit's
stability, integrity and performance directly depends on the design and
quality of implementation of such core components. i don't want to put
that at risk.

cheers
stefan

This email contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be legally privileged.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information may be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. This
email and any files attached to it have been checked with virus detection software before
viruses.

GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and 88th in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 500 EMEA.