jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From St├ęphane Croisier <scroisi...@jahia.com>
Subject RE: cluster and cache question
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:44:50 GMT
At 11:55 04/04/2005, you wrote:
>I see what you mean. Which layer to cache depends on the level of
>clustering you want to use. For example, I might be using a cluster so
>that I can increase the number of people accessing the repository in a
>read-only fashion (anonymous users). However any users changing content
>would use a session running directly on a specific node in the cluster.

... and how do you warn the other nodes in the cluster when you delete a
content object on the authoring server (e.g. you delete a news)? If you
want some coherence on your publishing servers, they need to be notified
consequently in order to flush their respective caches for all deprecated
objects else these deleted objects may still be served until your next
publishing server reboot...

>I know this may sound obvious but this would keep the solution simple.
>I'm guessing here that the number of people actually changing content
>will always be much smaller than those  just using it. This will of
>course depend hugely on what type of application you are using the
>repository for but does happen to fit my own usage particularly well :)

Yes, but you still want that your publishing servers are coherent with your
authoring server... If you do not need "real time" coherence, you may want
to set a global cache expiration delay (let's say every 24 hours) so that
your caches are automatically flushed once a while (more easy to setup and
you avoid all the communication and synchronization layer between your
server nodes).... but if you have a large content repository, you will need
to "reload" every XX hours all your content from the database which may
lead to more CPU/DB/FS usage.

Cheers,
St├ęphane

- -- --- -----=[ scroisier2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -