jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <Felix.Meschber...@day.com>
Subject Re: JCR-RMI RangeIterator performance
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:14:18 GMT
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:

> My design goal for JCR-RMI was to keep it as simple and
> straightforward as possible while trying to minimize network traffic,
> especially the amount of round-trips to the server. In many cases
> reducing server round-trips requires separate caching, with associated
> validity problems, but RangeIterators and Values can normally be
> cached without problems (AFAIK).

You may be right, esp. regarding server round-trips, where even with a
big number of items, server round-trip time might outnumber the time
required to serialize/deserialize the iterator. So the performance
problem I hit will be there no matter how the iterator is transferred,
either it takes time in the server round-trips or in serialization. In
most cases (around 95% or more) I do a full iteration.

> If this is a problem, it would be easy to create separate
> RemoteRangeIterator interfaces as suggested by Felix. There could be
> an optional  ClientRepository attribute that can be used for selecting
> the desired iterator behaviour on the client side. Even better, the
> server could dynamically decide whether to return an array or an
> iterator based on the size of the underlying data set.

Without any exact numbers at hand, it is hard to tell, whether we gain
something of this. So I suggest we leave it as is.

Regards
Felix