jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Moseley <...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: webdav configuration api
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:55:40 GMT
Tobias Strasser wrote:
> and how do you pass parameters to the commands?
> or would you create a 'MakeVersionable' command?

good question. that probably takes us back to the original discussion,
which was about configuration. but if we assume we have some object that
contains config info, then we make it part of the chain's command context.

really, these two issues are orthogonal: 1) general configuration of
server components and 2) more sophisticated resource import and export.
an extensible import/export design would benefit from a declarative
configuration, but this is not the same thing as setting behavioral
parameters for the server in general.

we've identified a couple cases where we need general server config.
presumably we will also need a general way to configure individual
import/export handlers.

i'm still in favor of a simple config object loaded by the servlet that
can be passed around between components. maybe commons config? :)

> well, just another 2 libraries we depend on...
> but i'll give it a try and maybe i discover the beauty of commons-chain :-)

two libraries? oh, are you talking about digester?

it may be that a commons chain implementation *is* overkill, but i don't
think i could make that conclusion without giving it a try. but it sure
seems to fit the need here.

why do you worry about library dependencies? are you concerned about
bloating the distribution's file size? when there is a clear benefit,
and the alternative is writing code that has to be maintained by *this*
project, using external libraries is often a good choice, even if it
makes the download time a little longer. it's not like this is a client
app that will be downloaded by tens of millions :)