jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Pfister <dominique.pfis...@day.com>
Subject Re: ItemState existence not cached
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:32:16 GMT
Hi Edgar,

Edgar Poce wrote:
> Hi
>
> SharedItemStateManager only caches the existent states and not the
> result of persistMgr.exists(). It causes that when other components in
> jackrabbit asks repeatedly about the existence of an unexistent item
> (calls to ShareditemStateManager.hasNonVirtualItemState) the
> SharedItemStateManager delegates every call to the PM. Is it the
> intended behaviour?

At the time, the SharedItemStateManager was originally created, calls to
hasItemState() for non-existent items were considered exceptional,
therefore no special care was taken to cache the negative response from
the PM. As your tests have shown, the SharedItemStateManager used within
the versioning PM appears to be treated differently. Instead of changing
the general SharedItemStateManager behaviour, I would rather suggest
that the versioning part creates a specialized, derived
SharedItemStateManager that avoids calling the PM over and over again
for the same, non-existent items.

Kind Regards
Dominique