jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: UUIDs, URIs, handles and so forth
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:16:53 GMT
On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sure it's easy to add a property 'handle' to a node and model it that
> way, but it would be way more elegant (and more future proof, since
> I'm already thinking about exporting that content as RDF, were the
> URIs are king) if it was possible for JCR to allow *you* to pick the
> UUID for the node.

Why don't you just set a property for an external reference name?

> So, my question is: is it possible to specify the node UUID
> externally? (as long as local unicity is guaranteed, obviously)

Not really, since fast implementations will depend on it being a
fixed-length number (internally) rather than a string.  In any case,
I would think that you would eventually want multiple persistent
identifiers for a resource, particularly since some identifiers
must change when the bits change whereas others only change when
the semantics change.

BTW, UUIDs are not globally unique over time -- only for a decade
or so based on common implementations, and even less than that if
the implementation is stupid.  They are completely unsuitable as
persistent names.

....Roy