jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: synchronous observation and caches
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:04:50 GMT
Sunday, April 17, 2005, 7:29:35 PM, Ben Pickering wrote:

> There have been two aspects to this discussion that I don't want to
> get confused:
>
> 1. Providing higher-level APIs (such as User, Workflow etc) that are
> based on JCR data items
> 2. Providing a performant implementation of such APIs with
> bi-directional updates/notifications in a client-server scenario

Just to clarify *if* there is a misunderstanding... of course we can
discuss these things, but neither was what I wanted in this thread. My
expectations was not that high. I don't need bi-directional updates. I
only need a cache that doesn't serve staled objects. I wasn't so bold
that I wanted to modify those objects (which are in the cache). I don't
want that.

> Now (2) is obviously an outstanding problem even in the JDBC realm --
> not sure there's much we can do there.

Well I doubt that. I know at least one working content repositories that
has solved these. Yes, I know, that was built as object oriented
repository from the ground... but I don't want to do such advanced
things with JCR.

Even the jcr:modificationCounter would solve the issue. If the solution
is far from the possible best, I don't know, certainly, but at least
there is *some* solution with that.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany