jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: refresh method or version stamp
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:50:50 GMT
Sunday, April 17, 2005, 6:36:00 PM, David Nuescheler wrote:

> just to understand your architectural approach:
>
> if i understand you correctly you would then in your
> "cache-system" check that property "jcr:modificationCounter"
> before serving anything from your cache. is that correct?

Yes.

> and that means that the jcr client would on every access to
> your cache ask the "repository server" about the value of
> that "jcr:modificationCounter" over network? is that correct?

Exactly. And, the jcr:uuid, otherwise it worth nothing.

> on every read operation to your cache?

You see, it is still far better than getting jcr:content on every read
operation (which supposedly a long string or binary), then create a
mycms.Template or org.w3c.dom.Document or etc from it, for each occasion
when you read it.

> is that really what you suggest?

Yes, but it was not really a proposal or something like that. Simply,
there is a task that can't be avoided (IMO), i.e. this sync-ed cache
must be implemented *somehow*, because of the use-cases explained during
this thread. If anybody has a better idea, tell it. In fact I have asked
for a solution originally, with the optimistic assumption that the
Expert Group who has developed JCR has considered this obvious use-case.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany