jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting ...@yukatan.fi>
Subject Re: Checkstyle improvements
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:30:11 GMT
Hi all,

After a couple of largish commits I've now fixed most of the trivial
Checkstyle warnings (see JCR-73). The remaining 241 warnings (excluding
Javadoc issues) are more related to code design than code formatting.
I'd like to raise these issues for comments before unilaterally messing
with the code.

We already discussed one issue related to inline conditionals in
private. Checkstyle suggests to avoid all inline conditionals, but
especially in some equals() methods they are very handy.

Another, more essential issue is related to the use of protected member
variables. Checkstyle currently reports 161 protected member variables
in Jackrabbit. The canonical suggestion is to make the variables private
and provide accessor methods as needed. Should Jackrabbit follow this
guideline or should we simply disable the related Checkstyle check?

There are also some isolated issues like equals() methods without
corresponding hashCode() methods and switch statements without default
cases that might cause unexpected trouble in some situations.

PS. Is there a reason why the Checkstyle report is disabled in
project.xml?

BR,

Jukka Zitting