jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Chained Persistence and Filesystem
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:19:05 GMT
hi edgar,

> I'm far (really far) from being a db expert, and I still don't get the
> big picture of jackrabbit internals, but I think jackrabbit is unable,
> and probably will allways be, to perform aggregated queries as fast as
> any of the os or commercial dbs.
why would that be? the querymanager could be extended
with an additional query language that does a direct
pass-through (i would not necessarily suggest that. in
agreement with jukkas statement about trying to avoid
relying on the structure of the persistance layer).
also, i would argue that depending on the nature of the
query jackrabbit may have a more adequate index and
therefore may easily outperform a classical rdbms.

you mentioned reporting, in reporting in general
performance usually is not so much an issue, since
in many cases reporting is not done very frequently.

since i am very interested in making performance
improvements to jackrabbits query engine where
necessary, i would really be interested in the nature
and frequency of your queries, so we have something
to base optimization on. do you think you can
share details?

jsr-170 specifies persistent queries, which allows
for substancial optimizations. do you think an
extension of the persisent queries could help you
with respect to performance?

regards,
david