jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PersitenceManager and Filesystem summary
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:02:02 GMT
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:48:10 +0100, Serge Huber <shuber2@jahia.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> > Edgar Poce wrote:
> >
> >> IMHO ...
> >>
> >> FileSystems
> >>
> >> - LocalFileSystem
> >> . Slow on window boxes
> >

> > Why is it slow on Windows? (please apologize if I might have missed
> > that explanation somehow)
> > and how is it on UNIX/Linux?
>
> I did some tests on Windows, and posted results a few months ago in this
> list. Basically the main problem is that NTFS directory  creation
> operations are really slow (I'm guessing it's the journalling that's
> interfering here). I must also say that I was creating something like
> over 10'000 files in my tests.
>

> > Does anyone have any actual figures (especially compared with CQFS)?

have a look at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/595.

the results of those earlier tests showed that (on a windows box)
ObjectPersistenceManager w/ CQFS is about 5-6 times faster than
ObjectPersistenceManager w/ LocalFileSystem.

the reason is that the windows file system really sucks when it comes to
storing a very large number of small files & folders.

cheers
stefan