jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VFS backed file system tests
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:33:29 GMT
hi edgar

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:48:13 -0300, Edgar Poce <edgarpoce@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I'm working on a Commons VFS backed file system for jackrabbit.
> VFS supports web-dav, ftp, sftp ... and I implemented a memory file
> system (#33795 bugzilla) which might be useful for testing.

hmm, interesting. while a memory file system would certainly be usefull
for testing,  i wonder why you would want to use VFS.

org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.FileSystem is a low level abstraction of
a file system that is used internally by the repository to persist internal
state. the idea behind it is that you can easily exchange the
LocalFileSystem implementation with something more efficient for
your platform. the windows fs e.g. really sucks when it comes to
handling large numbers of small files.

i don't see the value in implementing FileSystem on top of yet
another file system abstraction. i also doubt that web-dav, ftp, sftp, jar,
et al would be more efficient than the local file system...

but on the other hand, that's just my personal view and maybe
i'm overlooking a valid use case for a VFS-based FileSystem.

cheers
stefan