jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Tobias Strasser <tobias.stras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about jcr:typenodes
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:31:47 GMT
hi bertrand,

> I have questions about how /jcr:root/jcr:system/jcr:typnodes is supposed
> to work.
you mean:  /jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes  :-)

> If I'm not mistaking, the specification mentions that the exposure of
> jcr:typnodes is left up to the implementation.
well, it states:

6.8 System Node
[...]
For example, if a repository exposes node type definitions in content,
then those node type definitions should be located at
/jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes.
[...]

> Furthermore, when a customized typenode is created, it
> should be created under /jcr:root/jcr:system/jcr:typnodes.
that is not specified.

> And actually, this is done perfectly by CRX.
well, not anymore in the latest release. please keep in mind, that
this is the jackrabbit-dev mailing list and does not discuss crx
related issues. please post to jcr-crx@yahoogroups.com for such
issues.

> The point is the jcr:typnodes node doesn't exist when the repository is
> created. It has to be created manually. Is it desired ?
> Are there plans to create a internal node (like jcr:versionStorage) for
> jcr:typenodes ?
> And expose all the created type nodes under that node ?
we plan to expose all nodetypes under /jcr:system/jcr:nodeTypes as
suggested in the spec as read-only content.

> In this case, what to do with the system type nodes like nt:base,
> nt:folder ? Expose them under jcr:typenodes or not ?
all node types are exposed.

>     - On on hand, it might be expected to have them under jcr:typenodes
> (as protected of course). It is quite elegant (after all AFAIK metadata
> is treated as plain data by the jcr).
>     - On the other hand, do we have the risk that it make an export of
> jcr:typnodes not useable, because we will have to strip the definiton of
> system type nodes before importing the file again. It doesn't make sense
> to import nt:base for example, does it ?
in jackrabbit, all nodestypes are exposed.

> Finally, when a node type is added, it has to be registered by
> jackrabbit specific methods.
> Once again, I'm wondering if this is a feature, or simply because
> jackrabbit is under development.
a future implementation could allow nodetype registration via that
exposed content. but this is currently not possible.

cheers, tobi
--
Tobias Strasser, Day Management AG, Barfuesserplatz 6, CH - 4001 Basel