jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Gash" <Simon.G...@gossinteractive.com>
Subject RE: Adivce about session
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:15:40 GMT
No worries I'm trying to understand the JackRabbit design by just
walking my way through the code. There appears to be a lot of it ;)

I assume that by "components that are tied to a session" you mean for
instance the ItemManager. Am I right in saying that when you close the
session the ItemManager (and any cache it contains will be closed as
well ?)

Thanks for your help with this Dominique, I'm sure there a lot of people
on the mailing list who will find the knowledge of the design details to
be a great benefit.

Thanks

Si

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Pfister [mailto:dominique.pfister@day.com]
Sent: 16 March 2005 17:53
To: jackrabbit-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adivce about session

Simon Gash wrote:
> I would agree any expensive resource usage is going to affect
> scalability, hence a keeping a session open should improve
scalability.
> However I thought that a session is tied to a user and workspace.
> Surely this would cause problems ?

Sorry for not being clear enough. Jackrabbit's javax.jcr.Session
implementation creates some helper objects that help maintain and cache
the states of items. Losing the information inside those helper objects
was what I was referring to when talking about "components that are tied
to a session".

Regards
Dominique

be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please
notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the intended
recipient you may not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on
this email.

> Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as
information may be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete or contain viruses. This email and any files attached to
it have been checked with virus detection software before transmission.
You should nonetheless carry out your own virus check before opening any
attachment. GOSS Interactive Ltd accepts no liability for any loss or
damage that may be caused by software viruses.

> GOSS - Ranked 4th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Awards 2004 and
88th in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA.