jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: PersitenceManager and Filesystem summary
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:52:03 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:48:10 +0100, Serge Huber <shuber2@jahia.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Michael,
>>
>>Michael Wechner wrote:

>>>Why is it slow on Windows? (please apologize if I might have missed
>>>that explanation somehow)
>>>and how is it on UNIX/Linux?
>>>

>>I did some tests on Windows, and posted results a few months ago in this
>>list. Basically the main problem is that NTFS directory  creation
>>operations are really slow (I'm guessing it's the journalling that's
>>interfering here). I must also say that I was creating something like
>>over 10'000 files in my tests.
>>

>>>Does anyone have any actual figures (especially compared with CQFS)?
>>>

>have a look at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.jackrabbit.devel/595.

thanks very much for the hint

>the results of those earlier tests showed that (on a windows box)
>ObjectPersistenceManager w/ CQFS is about 5-6 times faster than
>ObjectPersistenceManager w/ LocalFileSystem.
>
>the reason is that the windows file system really sucks when it comes to
>storing a very large number of small files & folders.

right. We also experience that when building Lenya, because
a lot of files are being copied during the build process and
people building on Windows complain about it, whereas this isn't
really a problem on Linux.

So I guess the LocalFileSystem should be quite alright when deployed
on Linux. I will try to do the same tests on Linux and will post the
findings.

Thanks

Michi

--