jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shub...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: PersitenceManager and Filesystem summary
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:48:10 GMT

Hi Michael,

Michael Wechner wrote:

> Edgar Poce wrote:
>
>> IMHO ...
>>
>> FileSystems
>>
>> - LocalFileSystem
>> . Slow on window boxes
>

> Why is it slow on Windows? (please apologize if I might have missed
> that explanation somehow)
> and how is it on UNIX/Linux?

I did some tests on Windows, and posted results a few months ago in this
list. Basically the main problem is that NTFS directory  creation
operations are really slow (I'm guessing it's the journalling that's
interfering here). I must also say that I was creating something like
over 10'000 files in my tests.

> Does anyone have any actual figures (especially compared with CQFS)?

I don't have figure against CQFS but I do have some against Object
serialization and my ORM persistence managers. The results are a bit
dated now but they should be indicative of the problem of slow file
creation under Windows.

You can find the results of my tests here :
http://www.jahia.org/~loom/JackRabbit_Performance_Tests.pdf

Please note these are not very scientific, I was mostly trying to check
if my ORM persistence managers where performing decently than actually
trying to spend a lot of time on testing procedures.

Regards,
  Serge Huber.