jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar Poce <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best practice for Asset management
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:44:20 GMT

> I'm sorry for the fuzzyness of my questions, but I still lack experience
> with JCR. I guess the performance related questions depend heavily on
> the combination used for FileSystem and PersistenceManager
> implementations, and of course OS, and .... Still, can you share
> experience in this area? I'm particularly interested in experience with
> plain jackrabbit configuration (LocalFileSystem & XmlPersistenceManager)
> and ORM configuration (HibernatePersistenceManager), ceteris paribus.

LocalFileSystem is really slow in windows boxes, you should use CQFS
instead. With LocalFileSystem or XmlPersistenceManager if the jvm
process is killed the repository might turn inconsistent. Besides, none
supports transactions.

I moved to orm persistence for these reasons, but for now, none of the
implementations are production ready. If you want to give it a try, I
suggest you to start with the patched OJB PM rather than the hibernate
PM. See JCR-63 in JIRA.

btw, I'm thinking of making a console tool that checks the persistence
manager consistency. The tool would tell the number of unexistent
referenced nodes, and with -repair option it will prompt to delete
references to unexistent children. I guess it's not the best solution
but at least it could make the repository back to life. No other
inconsistency come to my mind now but I guess we could add more sanity
checks.

> Cheers,
> Michael

regards