jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: namespaces
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:53:49 GMT
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:18:52 +0100, Felix Röthenbacher
> <felix.roethenbacher@wyona.com> wrote:
>
>>Tobias Strasser wrote:
>>
>>>well: "/*[local-name()='hugo' and
>>>namespace-uri()='http://foo.bar.org']" is not a valid path :-)
>>>

>>I think the answer above is a little bit oversimplified.
>>AFAICS there is no support for xpath predicates when using
>>session.exportDocView(). Only an absolute path is allowed.
>>But maybe someone else knows better ...
>

> what makes you believe that you can use xpath predicates
> in a jcr path???
>
> please, do your homework and read the spec before asking
> such basic questions. i guess that's not asked too much.
>
> here's a hint: see 4.6 Path Syntax

Stefan, in case you didn't notice, here we are trying to build a
community, not just to implement a spec, and it's already hard without
you alienating people for how they interact with this project.

If you feel annoyed by the lack of pro-activity on other people's side,
you are welcome not to reply and ignore them.

Do you know the Postel Principle? "be strict in what you send, be
forgiving in what you receive", this is how the internet can work in
practice, but it's a very useful thing, it helps in human collaborations
as well, especially in wide and across cultures ones, like this that we
are trying to build.

Apache is about community, not code. You are one of the development
leaders of this project and for that reason, like it or not, you have a
responsibility: the responsibility of helping out in making sure that
our users and developers feel welcome even when they screw up, even when
they are lazy, even when they make silly (for you!) mistakes.

A community of smart asses will not bloom: it go down in flames. Been
there, done that. I still have scars from Avalon that prove all that. We
had to kill it before its cancer grew in other sides of the foundation.

The last thing I want is this project to fail incubation for community
reasons and there will be no way to attract external committers if they
won't feel welcome.

Ah, one last thing, when you write an email, remember that this is a
very public forum and that these messages are archived in many different
places, which means that they won't go away. Think about emails that you
wrote 10 years ago and think about how these will feel 10 years for now.

Food for thought.

--
Stefano.