jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Out of incubation?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:22:31 GMT
Jos Potargent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> not to rush anyone, but is there a plan when JackRabbit will come out
> of incubation and move to a 1.0 release? This would help acceptance
> for in-house use.

We are aware that the 'incubation' status slows (or stops) acceptance,
but this is a feature not a bug.

One of the most strict requirements to exit incubation is diversity of
development community. While I think the JackRabbit project is seeing a
lot of very healthy and diverse community, there is only committer that
was acquired during the incubation process and this is clearly not enough.

At the end of the day, the incubation PMC will have to decide if this
project is likely to survive if the original sponsors went away. As of
today, I think that if Day pulled the plug, JackRabbit would die of
energy starvation.

But the trend is very promising (actually, this feels like a very fast
incubation to me) and with the finalization of the spec, we'll see more
and more people starting to use it.

So, in short, JackRabbit will exit incubation when it will grow up.

I know this is not the answer you need for your boss, but any other
answer would not be honest.

One thing *you* could do to accelerate the incubation is to become a
committer ;-)

--
Stefano.