jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Edgar Poce <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: VFS backed file system tests
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:50:12 GMT
Hi stefan

 > i don't see the value in implementing FileSystem on top of yet
 > another file system abstraction. i also doubt that web-dav, ftp,
sftp, jar,
 > et al would be more efficient than the local file system...

As I said in another mail I only used VFS because I wanted a memory
filesystem in other applications than jackrabbit, but I guess there are
cases on which a VFS backed filesystem can be a good choice.

With XMLPersistenceManager I agree with you that it's not very useful,
but another persistence implementation could allow jackrabbit to share
files with other systems (e.g. through webdav), maybe not very efficient
but sometimes integration with legacy systems is a must.

Besides, VFS might be useful if you don't feel like implementing a file
system from scratch.

 > but on the other hand, that's just my personal view and maybe
 > i'm overlooking a valid use case for a VFS-based FileSystem.
 >
 > cheers
 > stefan

Regards
Edgar