jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Peeter Piegaze <peeter.pieg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloning nodes
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:28:19 GMT
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:01:06 +0100, Felix Röthenbacher
<felix.roethenbacher@wyona.com> wrote:
> Two questions came to my mind when I read about cloning
> nodes:
>
> 1. I'm reasoning about the basic idea of cloning nodes into
>     different workspaces? Does someone know what the clone
>     concept means?

Yes, I do :-)

No, but seriously, a clone is an operation that moves a subtree from
one worksapce to another while preserving the UUIDs of any
UUID-bearing (more commonly called "referencable") nodes.

The purpose of clone is the creation "corresponding nodes" across
workspaces, a concept that then plays a role in update and in
versioning related operations.

Have a look at sections 4.9, 4.10 and 4.11 of the spec.

> 2. If I clone a node from one workspace to another, the
>     whole subtree of that node is cloned. How can I handle
>     child nodes that should not appear in the target
>     workspace?

Just remove them afterwards if you dont want them, I guess. There is
no automatic way to exclude certain nodes during the clone operation.

Cheers,
Peeter