jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Joschko <markus.josc...@web.de>
Subject Usage question
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:42:17 GMT
Hi list,

I have to apologize beforehand because this is not a technical jackrabbit but
a simple how-to-approch JSR-170 question. But I don't know of a better place
to ask for your opinion.

Imagine the following use case:

I have a versionable website component that is stored as a node in the
repository.

Additionaly there are two webpages, also represented as nodes, which
references to the same website component.

SiteA-
         |--reference PROPERTY--> componentX
SiteB-

At some point in time componentX v1.0 is changed by the author. This reflects
in a new version of componentX v1.1.
So far everything is fine, but now there are supervisors of SiteA and SiteB
who need to first approve the update independantly on each other to have the
new version displayed on their site.
That means, SiteA would approve and link to 1.1 of componentX while SiteB
which has not yet approved would ideally still link to 1.0 of componentX.

After reading the spec I don't think that such a scenario is possible because
a node can only have one valid version at a point in time but I wanted to ask
if I have overseen a workaround or if I misunderstood the spec.

Otherwise I would have to duplicate the information somewhere (copying
componentX as childnodes to the sites and make the sites versionable or
creating a new node with name componentX_01 which is then the node which is
referenced by the approved sites).

Would be nice to hear your comments on it.

Thanks,
 Markus