jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting ...@yukatan.fi>
Subject Re: Chained Persistence and Filesystem
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:38:50 GMT
Hi,

Edgard Poce wrote:
> I comment my use case. I'm working with a big amount of data, censuses
> and other household surveys. I'd like to store each survey with
> jackrabbit, but I'd like/need jackrabbit could share the data with any
> statistical processing engine because I don't feel like implementing
> statistical algorithms. That's why I need a custom orm pm for
> myapp:mysurvey nodetype. What's the best practice?

There are few best practices yet, but in my opinion you'd better focus
on doing the integration on top of the JCR API, not below it. Is it
possible to implement a JCR storage adapter for the statistical
processing engine you are using? Or alternatively implement an export
feature that extracts the required data from a JCR content repository.

You can think of the Jackrabbit persistence manager layer as the storage
layer of an RDBMS implementation. The JCR API is to Jackrabbit what JDBC
is to an RDBMS. You can use a database to store your data and integrate
it with your applications using the public API, but you certainly
wouldn't want to try making your externally stored data visible inside
the database by writing a custom storage layer implementation... ;-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting