jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting ...@yukatan.fi>
Subject Re: getString for multi-valued properties
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:34:03 GMT
Hi,

David Nuescheler wrote:
> how about an "examples"-contrib in svn? i think a sample
> webapp could help people to kickstart their work with
> jackrabbit.

Sounds fine. I'll create the contrib/examples package and copy the First
Steps examples as a start.

About generic value access:
> hmmm... looking at that, i agree that it doesn't
> look very pretty. i would argue though that
> there are only few "generic"-applications
> like a general purpose repository browser
> or an eclipse plug-in that would have to
> access information in such a manner
> (and even those will probably work differently
> for mvp & svp). my argument would be
> that most content applications
> (hopefully) know their underlying
> content-model and therefore "know" if
> a property is multi-value or not.
> i think of all the display logic templates
> or content management apps, they
> should all be aware of the content
> model that they are operating
> against? thoughts?

I agree. An unexpected property format (svp/mvp) is (in my opinion) a
type safety issue and throwing a ValueFormatException is a reasonable
course of action. It's unfortunate that API structure gives few hints
about this problem (other value conversions are mostly allowed).
Hopefully the API documentation together with illustrative code examples
will help people avoid this trap.

BR,

Jukka Zitting