jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jcr-taglib (used to be portlets, etc.)
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:16:47 GMT
hi edgar,

> > one thing that i thought of, was to introduce
> > something like a "current working directory" that
> > allows simple navigation in nodes.
> > something like:
> > <jcr:cd path="/level1/mytest">
> >   <jcr:out path="../bla/mynode" />
> >   <jcr:out path="/app:myprop" />
> > </jcr:cd>
> I like the idea and I'll add it ASAP. But I would rename the attribute
> "path" to "node" or "item" because an EL expression might be used
> instead of the path. eg. "${myNode}" instead of "/pathToMyNode/MyNode".
hmmm... well, i am a bit attached to the path for a number of
reasons. for one in many situations people actually have a path
"hardcoded in their jsp template" rather than the actual items.
also, i think it may be an intersting feature of <jcr:cd> to skip
the section to the </jcr:cd> in case the path does not exist.
can we settle for having both a "path" and a "node" or
an "item"...  what do you think?

> > i think this could also provide for more modular
> > jsp includes...
> > what do you think?
> Yes, it could. But I guess that won't be the most common use case. With
> jsp includes the jsp pages would lose control of the current working
> directory.
> I think the JCR tags should store data by default only in the
> page context in order to keep control of the surrounding session and
> current working directory.
> If anyone wants to store an Item in the
> request, session or servletcontext it can be done through the core jstl.
i initially thought of storing the <jcr:cd> stack in a request attribute
and until now i couldn't come up with a reason why that should be bad.
additionally, it allows for the described jsp nesting which we use very
frequently to render content-repository-based components of a page.
is there a drawback of storing it that way?

regards,
david