jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: contrib/jcr-ext proposal
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:12:57 GMT
hi jukka,

> After a busy week marketing the JCR idea here in Finland, it seems that
> I will be working on JCR related projects quite actively during the
> spring, especially after the final release of the API is available.
sounds fantastic.

> As a part of these projects I will end up creating a set of general
> purpose JCR components that I'd like to release as open source and
> contribute to the Jackrabbit project as a contrib package like the
> JCR-RMI layer I implemented earlier.
cool.

> This message is my concrete proposal for a contrib/jcr-ext (as in JCR
> extras/extensions) package. I'd also like to reserve the
> org.apache.jackrabbit.ext name for this package. If you think a contrib
> package like this would fit with Jackrabbit, then I will continue my
> work on it and provide periodic snapshots for inclusion with Jacrabbit.
> Below is a listing of the various components I plan to implement. I
> already have some code for the .xml, .decorator and .cache components,
> but mostly this is just vaporware for now. However, with my current
> funding, I expect to be able to deliver at least a part of these tools
> during the next month or two.
>   o.a.j.ext.xml - XML import/export support
>     Utility classes that implement the XML import/export functionality
>     of JCR using the standard JCR Node API. (Jackrabbit implements
>     similar support classes, but they operate below the JCR API.)
>     Makes it easy for JCR implementations to support the XML operations
>     once the basic Node read/write functionality exists.
hmmm... ok, i see. which would mean that jackrabbit becomes a bit of
a repository-sdk.. fine with me. personally, i believe that import
specifically with respect to uuid and operations on protected
properties has to be under the hood, which is the reason
why jackrabbit uses internal calls.

>   o.a.j.ext.inmemory - Simple in-memory JCR repository implementation
>     A trivial in-memory implementation of the most basic JCR repository
>     functionality. Designed for simple demo and testing purposes.
sounds interesting ;)

>   o.a.j.ext.typenode - Generic /jcr:system/jcr:nodetypes implementation
>     A node tree implementation that is backed by the NodeTypeManager
>     API. Makes it easy for JCR implementations to make the
>     /jcr:system/jcr:nodetypes subtree available once the NodeTypeManager
>     implementation exists.
hehe ;)

>   o.a.j.ext.decorator - Generic JCR decorator layer
>     Decorator layer for the entire JCR API. Makes it easy to decorate
>     JCR implementations with extra functionality.
>   o.a.j.ext.cache - JCR caching layer
>     A decorator layer that provides caching of repository data and the
>     transient state of the client.
this is something that we are looking into aswell for the complete
mapping of jcr over webdav(+friends). maybe we can help each
other, we can probably soon share with you what we already have.

>   o.a.j.ext.trace - JCR call trace layer
>     A decorator layer that writes a log of all JCR API calls.
cool. sounds like "jcr-truss" or "jcr-strace" to me ;)
and if we consolidate the calls then we would get something
that i sometimes called the "jcr-fingerprint" of an application.
which helps people to see what type of repository functionality
(or jcr calls) their application requires.

>   o.a.j.ext.audit - JCR audit trail layer
>     A decorator layer that writes an audit trail of all users accessing
>     a content repository.
well, let's see how that works with the transactions, but i think it is
a good idea.

>   o.a.j.ext.security - Security and access control layer for JCR
>     A decorator layer that guards access to a content repository using
>     JAAS access control and the Java permission architecture.
we are also working on that right now... maybe we can team up.

great ideas.

regards,
david

standardize your content-repository !