jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Severance <c...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit with RDF facilities
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:38:23 GMT
[snip]

I tried to resist adding to this RDF thread but could not :)

A very small group in Sakai has been thinking about RDF and a Repository for
a long time (gives us a headache at times).

I won't go on at boring length here, but my high level view is that there is
a basic role for RDF as "part of" JCR, but also a more interesting role of
RDF as a "peer to" and "compliment to" JCR. There are things which RDF can
naturally represent which are not natural fits for JCR.

In one sentence, if JCR may be the flexible "file system" of the future, RDF
may be the flexible "relational database" of the future.  But both
statements remain to be proven in real applications at real performance
levels.  And it seems premature to even imagine that a standard could really
nail the requirements in the area at this point.

/Chuck