jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Severance <c...@umich.edu>
Subject Re: Never Mind - Solved it myself Re: Introduction followed by Dumb, Obvious Developer Question
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:21:48 GMT
On 2/6/05 4:31 PM, "David Nuescheler" <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:

> sounds great.  i would assume that your users would mostly read from
> the repository? jackrabbit should be well suited for that.  do you have
> any expectations with respect to how much content you are going to
> store in the repository? or how frequently content is written to
> the repository?

We will have plenty of writes.  Likely between 10-20% writes overall.  We
may end up storing things like chat messages in JCR.  We will have
applications that store material in properties, and place observers on
changes in content to provide real-time interactions for things like chat.

If this is something that is not so good for JR, we should know that.  Make
sure to separate the API issues from the implementation issues - we can add
our own implementation to address performance issues.  If we picked JCR/JR,
we would not put it into production until June.

One early medium application of our software (current version at University
of Michigan) is 20,000 users, 100GB, 700 simultaneous users.  This is in
daily and continuous production.  Our next large deployment is Indiana
University which will likely be 500GB+, 100,000 users, 1500+ simultaneous
users.  We also expect 20-100 smaller installations with 100-5000 users
within a year.

We do performance testing as a matter of course, and will only put stress on
the implementation when we are confident.

> with respect to the hierarchical authorization, i would certainly be
> interested to find out if the "soon-to-come" built-in native jackrabbit
> authorization is going to suit your needs, both functionality and
> performance-wise.

If we get started, our implementations will be done in public and
open-source from their first lines of code.  I look forward to some good
native JR implementations because they can bootstrap our process quite a
bit.  It is much better to start with something working and speed it up.

Our entire project is Jakarta-style license so we can only include other
Jakarta-style licensed material in our distribution.

/Chuck