jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OJB / Hibernate PersistenceManagers [Was: PersistenceManager & childNodeEntries]
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:07:10 GMT
hi serge,

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:05:29 +0100, Serge Huber <shuber2@jahia.com> wrote:

> Hi Stefan & all,
>
> I've been busy a much longer time than expected on updating the code to
> make it work completely. I think I have managed to remove all the known
> issues as well as improve the code a bit. In the hindsight, I learned a
> valuable lesson : OJB & Hibernate have VERY different ways of managing
> collections, especially how they handle removal within collections, and
> unfortunately I wasn't able to share all my POJO objects between the two
> implementations. The culprit here is OJB, which requires a specific
> interface or a specific collection implementation (which I chose) to be
> "notified" of collection element removal. Anyway, it should work now but
> I failed in my initial goal of using one set of ORM objects for both
> implementations.
>
> >- there's a broken dependency in the project.xml. maven couldn't
> >  find mysql-connector-java-3.1.6-bin.jar. i changed the dependency
> >  to version 3.0.10-stable-bin and the build succeeded.
> >

> Sorry about that. I use an internal repository here and I had missed
> that. It is corrected now.
>
> >- the junit test cases are located in the package org.jahia.jcr.test,
> >  i'd prefer to put hem in org.apache.jackrabbit.test.*
> >

> Again an oversight. It is now corrected.
>
> >- the source code is missing the correct apache license headers
> >

> I think I corrected all the files, but I might have missed one or two,
> thank you for letting me know if you see anything. I also added the
> license header to all the configuration files that would allow it.
>
> >- the indentation of the java source is inconsistent
> >

> This was due to a bug in my IDE (JBuilder 2005). It is now corrected.
>
> >- NodeReferences are not yet fully supported (destroy, exists)
> >

> I have fully implemented these, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like
> Jackrabbit has test cases for these ?

not yet, but we will add some soon.

> >- BLOBs are not yet supported
> >

> This is the great news in my new version, BLOBs are now supported ! I
> have only tested with HSQLDB and MySQL though. Also HSQLDB is a bit
> slower than MySQL as it doesn't use *real* blobs, but binary arrays to
> store the binary content (it's actually even crazier than that. If you
> look at the HSQLDB script files you see that the whole binary is
> contained in an SQL INSERT statement). But anyway I have implemented a
> test case that inserts a 1MB BLOB into the repository and it seems to
> work (I have also tested with 15MB BLOBs, but for reasons of test speed
> I have reduced the size to something smaller).
>
> >if you would like to contribute the orm-persistence package
> >(which i would very appreciate :) please fix the above issues.
> >we would also need a CLA on file from you.
> >

> Ok I'll send in the CLA asap.

great, please let me know when you've done so.

> Here is the new ZIP with the updated codebase :
> http://www.jahia.org/~loom/orm-persistence-20050210-1200.zip . This file
> must be decompressed from the contrib directory as I am using relative
> paths to run the parent project tests.

thanks, i will have a look at it soon, probably some time next week.

> Last but not least, I must say it's not always easy to stay up to date
> with all the commits going on these days, especially since half of the
> time it seems that things are broken (I have had a lot of test failures,
> especially in versioning). Usually things get corrected the same day so
> I didn't report it, but it might help to know where in the process of
> updating to 16.2 you guys are :)

sorry, we're still in the process of updating the implementation ...
there are a couple of semantic changes in the api that
are unfortunately non-trivial to implement and that require
complete rewrites of certain aereas (e.g. import, workspace
operations etc).

cheers
stefan