jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: error messages in logs
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:28:59 GMT
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:54:46 +0100, Marcel Reutegger
<marcel.reutegger@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after adding more api test cases to jackrabbit which test exception
> conditions on methods, I notices that error log messages are written in
> certain cases, even though the test succeeds.
> SaveTest.testConstraintViolationException is an example.
>
> Reason is, that we sometimes log an error message before an exception is
> thrown. I suggest to lower the log level for such messages to at least
> warn or even info. Taking whatever action is needed should be the
> responsibility of the caller.
>
> opinions?

i agree. logging/log levels are used inconsistently. it's one of the
open tasks in the ToDo.txt:

- logging: remove unnecessary output, check log categories/verbosity,
  use 'debug' whenever possible

i just didn't get around to review/change all logging stmts yet :(.

cheers
stefan