jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Boris Kraft <boris.kr...@obinary.com>
Subject Re: Do you think JackRabbit can be used in production environment ?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:38:56 GMT
On 23.02.2005, at 15:11, Bertrand LEGA wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I'm responsible for the architecture of a content management web site.
> This web site is very specific to my client.
>
> Bits of information :
>   - template to preview/publish content
>   - deployment in EMEA countries : localization
>   - 80 000 users, 400 concurrent users
>   - 20 Gigs of data
>   - complex content : quizz, surveys, interactive trainings
>   - Struts based presentation layer.
>
> I'm very interested in JSR 170 work and in its opensource
> implementation JackRabbit.
> We need a content management system framework : we don't need a
> presentation layer (like Magnolia) because the client wants it to meet
> his specific needs and chiefly wants it to be done with Struts !
> (By the way, if you know any contender to Magnolia done with Struts, I
> take it!)

Maybe you should have a second look at Magnolia, I disagree that its a
"presentation layer" only. We have built Magnolia precisely because we
needed something that lets us implement custom requirements quickly,
and what you get when you download Magnolia is an example of how things
can be done, not a "CMS in a (closed) box". It is wide open, and
although struts is not an option at the moment, it is probably easier
to add than writing your own CMS - maybe you want to discuss this on
the magnolia-dev list?

With your requirements I'd evaluate commercial alternatives like Day's
Communique. I mean, 400 concurrent users? (do you mean authors?) A
tight deadline? Nothing may go wrong? And your customer wants to build
a custom system for such requirements? I doubt that this is giving the
project team quiet nights.

Interested to hear more, I am.

Regards
Boris Kraft