jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit and MPEG-21
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:59:14 GMT
David Dabbs wrote:
>>Are you aware of the fact that the licensing model for MPEG-21 might not
>>be compatible with an open source project?
> It does not seem to be an issue for the folks at DSPACE and LANL and their
> software is open source:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/didl-plug-in/

[FYI, my day job is being part of the group that started and DSpace]

ehm, the reason why that project is a separate entity and not part of
DSpace is *exactly* for the licensing issues I expressed above.

> I would imagine that the DRM-related portions of the MPEG/ISO specification
> are encumbered by patents. The Digital Item Definition and other parts may
> not be. I've sent an email to the LANL team asking about their use of
> MPEG-21 specs and schema in their work.

In fact, I said "might". It is not clear what parts of the MPEG-21 spec
are encumbered with patents and until this is resolved, no code that
touches that will enter the official DSpace repository. Some people
(those who started that project) think it's more important to have it
than to care about those IP issues. I can hardly disagree more.

This project is under incubation and my job here, as an advisor, is to
outline possible scenarios of conflicts and legal issues and this
represents one.

View raw message