jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Rickard Öberg <rickard.ob...@senselogic.se>
Subject JCR, Portlets and usecases
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:02:28 GMT
Hi!

Now that the PFD is out I want to air some thoughts about how JCR could
work together with Portlets.

My background is that I have a CMS/portal implementing JSR168, and our
partners are "screaming" (figuratively speaking) for a way to access our
internal page structure and render it. This is where JCR would come in
quite nicely.

Accessing the Repository from a portlet would be quite natural (simply
look it up in the "java:comp/env" JNDI context), but I'm unsure how
common usecases would be dealt with most efficiently.

Here is a common one just to describe the basic problem:
A portlet wants to render a menu describing the site structure. I would
prefer if this is done by using the XML export feature in combination
with an XSL transformation in the portlet. That way it is easy to tweak
the actual HTML generation. But, since such a usecase is only interested
in a small subset of data (e.g. path+displayname+UUID for one sublevel
of the current node) the current XML export feature is too
coarse-grained. It's an "all-or-nothing" approach. In terms of the
current JCR API it would probably be more efficient to implement an
ItemVisitor which exports a specific subset of the model to SAX. Such an
ItemVisitor could probably be made totally generic, if one wants to.
With a SAX-exporter that can be tweaked for various usecases it should
be very easy and efficient to implement a number of common JCR+Portlet
usecases.

So here are my actual questions:
* Is anyone else going to use JCR in the context of portlets?
* If yes, how do you see it being used, commonly? As above, with
XML(SAX)+XSL, or in some other way?
* Are there any tools, like the SAX-exporter outlined above, which
could/should be made available within the Jackrabbit context?

Any other general thoughts related to JCR and Portlets would also be
most welcome :-)

regards,
   Rickard