jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "antonio.lopez@ptbsl.com" <antonio.lo...@ptbsl.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit with RDF facilities
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:58:08 GMT
Charles Severance wrote:

>[snip]
>
>I tried to resist adding to this RDF thread but could not :)

Glad you didn't

>A very small group in Sakai has been thinking about RDF and a Repository for
>a long time (gives us a headache at times).
>
>I won't go on at boring length here, but my high level view is that there is
>a basic role for RDF as "part of" JCR, but also a more interesting role of
>RDF as a "peer to" and "compliment to" JCR. There are things which RDF can
>naturally represent which are not natural fits for JCR.

For sure, JCR repository is a conected digraph with special  vertex
(the root), RDF simply is a digraph (a directed graph)
which is a more general concept.

>In one sentence, if JCR may be the flexible "file system" of the future, RDF
>may be the flexible "relational database" of the future.  But both
>statements remain to be proven in real applications at real performance
>levels.  And it seems premature to even imagine that a standard could really
>nail the requirements in the area at this point.
>
>/Chuck

Well although we think RDF would be very profitable and powerfull
feature we also think it's better to release
the first stable jsr-170 while using Jackrabbit as testbed. RDF is often
misused and there is not very much
well undertanding about it, so it could be a burden to general acceptance.