jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject contrib/jcr-ext proposal
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:46:25 GMT
Hi all,

After a busy week marketing the JCR idea here in Finland, it seems that
I will be working on JCR related projects quite actively during the
spring, especially after the final release of the API is available.

As a part of these projects I will end up creating a set of general
purpose JCR components that I'd like to release as open source and
contribute to the Jackrabbit project as a contrib package like the
JCR-RMI layer I implemented earlier.

This message is my concrete proposal for a contrib/jcr-ext (as in JCR
extras/extensions) package. I'd also like to reserve the
org.apache.jackrabbit.ext name for this package. If you think a contrib
package like this would fit with Jackrabbit, then I will continue my
work on it and provide periodic snapshots for inclusion with Jacrabbit.

Below is a listing of the various components I plan to implement. I
already have some code for the .xml, .decorator and .cache components,
but mostly this is just vaporware for now. However, with my current
funding, I expect to be able to deliver at least a part of these tools
during the next month or two.

   o.a.j.ext.xml - XML import/export support
     Utility classes that implement the XML import/export functionality
     of JCR using the standard JCR Node API. (Jackrabbit implements
     similar support classes, but they operate below the JCR API.)
     Makes it easy for JCR implementations to support the XML operations
     once the basic Node read/write functionality exists.

   o.a.j.ext.inmemory - Simple in-memory JCR repository implementation
     A trivial in-memory implementation of the most basic JCR repository
     functionality. Designed for simple demo and testing purposes.

   o.a.j.ext.typenode - Generic /jcr:system/jcr:nodetypes implementation
     A node tree implementation that is backed by the NodeTypeManager
     API. Makes it easy for JCR implementations to make the
     /jcr:system/jcr:nodetypes subtree available once the NodeTypeManager
     implementation exists.

   o.a.j.ext.decorator - Generic JCR decorator layer
     Decorator layer for the entire JCR API. Makes it easy to decorate
     JCR implementations with extra functionality.

   o.a.j.ext.cache - JCR caching layer
     A decorator layer that provides caching of repository data and the
     transient state of the client.

   o.a.j.ext.trace - JCR call trace layer
     A decorator layer that writes a log of all JCR API calls.

   o.a.j.ext.audit - JCR audit trail layer
     A decorator layer that writes an audit trail of all users accessing
     a content repository.

   o.a.j.ext.security - Security and access control layer for JCR
     A decorator layer that guards access to a content repository using
     JAAS access control and the Java permission architecture.

As before, comments are welcome!

Best regards,

Jukka Zitting