jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Peeter Piegaze <peeter.pieg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit with a RDBMS
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:56:49 GMT
Hi Manoj,

The examples in that section of the the spec were intended simply to
underline the fact that the JSR 170 specification could be implemented
on top of a number of different underlying data storage mechanisms.

These examples are in effect "toy" implementation suggestions that
really have no practical use. They are actually left-overs from the
pre-cambrian era of the spec that were intended explanatory purposes
only. In fact, if people find the whole section confusing or no longer
relevant, I may just remove the whole chapter in the next rev of the
spec.

Jackrabbit, is itself *already* an implementation of the JSR 170
specification and as such its underlying storage mechanisms are
already defined (In fact, a number of different PersistenceManagers
are configurable in src\conf\repository.xml).

There is no sense in which the examples in section 5.3 can be "tried
out" with Jackrabbit. "Trying out" one of the examples in 5.3 would
amount to writing a new JSR 170 implementation...a very bad
implementation ;-).

Cheers,
Peeter