jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From "David Dabbs" <da...@dabbs.net>
Subject RE: Jackrabbit and MPEG-21
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:01:51 GMT

> David Dabbs wrote:
>
> > (C) The funny thing with things DSpace is that whatever one contributes
> > becomes HP copyright.  Quite a problem in the community, I think.
> Anyhow,
> > here is what is included in the software:
> >
> >   *
> >   * Copyright (c) 2002, Hewlett-Packard Company and Massachusetts
> >   * Institute of Technology.  All rights reserved.
>
> FYI, the dspace group is going thru the process of creating a software
> foundation to solve exactly the above problem... too bad that these
> things take forever and a half when big institutions like HP and MIT are
> involved.
>
> Also, I have to say, this guys shows very little awareness of copyright
> law, which does not really make me feel warm and fuzzy when they state
> they know the IP status of their spec.

Until MPEG-LA issues a patent call and IP holders state their interests
nothing is known for sure. Just because the ISO might take some action
doesn't mean that ContentGuard (Microsoft-backed) or others would
necessarily agree that there isn't IP to protect.

> If they think that soliciting ISO to make the spec available for free is
> all we have to be concerned about, they have a long way to go to
> understand how Apache incubation works.
>
> --
> Stefano.

LANL is also a large institution and while they may openly collaborate with
other institutions it doesn't mean they operate the same way or have the
same concerns (as Apache.org).

Until the issue(s) are clearer it is probably best to stay aware of what's
going on in that community but stay away from it WRT the JSR codebase.

Best,

David