jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <ju...@zitting.name>
Subject Re: contrib/jcr-ext proposal
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:31:34 GMT
Hi all,

I've just received committer status with Jackrabbit (thanks for the vote
of confidence), and would be ready to migrate my private contrib/jcr-ext
work to the Jackrabbit source repository. Before doing that, I'd like to
clarify some policy issues raised by Roy.

Roy T.Fielding wrote:
> More code sounds great, but I don't want to see a big hierarchy
> of extension directories.  Please just name them
>
>     org.apache.jackrabbit.{meaningful-name}
>
> and we'll all work on managing that space.

I understand the requirement. What I was looking for with the .ext space
was a grouping of packages that have no dependencies from or to the
Jackrabbit core packages.

What would be the policy for managing the org.apache.jackrabbit space?
For example: Each new top-level package should be proposed on
jackrabbit-dev before creation. The proposal should contain a
description of the package (could be used also for package.html) and
information about who will develop and maintain the package.

> Contrib should only be used for things that are not managed
> by the jackrabbit project, with the hopeful intention of moving
> everything into the main project once the contributor has earned
> commit status.

How about the JCR-RMI contrib package? If you want, I could now migrate
the RMI layer to org.apache.jackrabbit.rmi within the main source tree.
The Jackrabbit jar would then directly contain the RMI layer.

However, I'd need to setup separate maven goals to create jars
containing just the RMI client and server classes. These extra jars
could be used by other JCR implementations without having to include the
entire Jackrabbit implementation.

The same dilemma applies also to the decorator, xml, and other general
packages I proposed for jcr-ext. Any ideas on how these should be
handled?

Best regards,

Jukka Zitting