jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node.orderBefore(String,String)
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:21:32 GMT
hi markus,

thanks for your questions. you are welcome to also send those to
jsr-170-comments@jcp.org just for the record.

> Me again with a jsr 170 question.
> Why does orderBefore take two String arguments.
> Until I miss something this can/will only work if you have the full node name
> like
> parentNode.orderBefore("tst:case[2]","tst:case[3]");
>
> Getting the full node name is not straight foreward because getName() only
> returns the name without position. It is necessary to retrieve the path and
> grep the substring with the name+position.
>
> Three issues came up doing so:
>
> 1) There is room for improvement in the spec. Why isn't there a method which
> accepts UUIDs or Nodes or whatever?
well, UUIDs would not be appropriate because they would only
apply to referenceable nodes. passing nodes may look like a feasible
alternative at first glance....

> 2) It's better to not have same name siblings (so the name is sufficient to
> distinguish them).
...i think in general as you seem to use a lot of
sns in your design you might have uncovered that sns have been
introduced relatively late into the spec and they are not extensively
used in the repositories internal nodetypes, never the less they should
be supported to the full extent.

personally, i usually avoid sns use in favour of residuals, however i can
see that people may have a different opinion on that topic.
i must a admit that, when i saw your earlier post the content design
that was suggested by your question looked a bit unusual to me,
however probably legitimate.

could your suggestion be an additional api call
something like the addition of a Node.getIndex() method
which returns 1 if non-sns ?
(we could put as an input from the public on to
our jsr-170 issueslist ... obviously i am trying to keep changes
to a minimum at this point ;) )

> 3) There is another possibility to solve this, I haven't recognized.
i am not aware of another solution that would keep your original
sns based content design in place.

regards,
david
standardize your content-repository !