jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: versioning
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:33:41 GMT
hi rod,

> I've been looking at the versioning api of Jackrabbit and trying it out
> and now have a few questions. I can see that the api has methods to
> label nodes and get versions back using a label, but what is the
> equivalent of a CVS branch checkout? Is there a concept of branches in
> Jackrabbit or have I missed it?
even better, there is a concept of version-graph branches and merges
in the jsr-170 spec. as a graphic example you can go to
http://jcr.day.com and choose a versionable node and click the "versions"
button.
for a quick example of a "version graph" check this out....
http://jsr170tools.day.com/crx/ui/versionbrowse.jsp?Path=/pr-jsr-170-v0.13.1/docs/api/allclasses-frame.html

> The spec says that the versionStorage is readable in all workspaces but
> how does a new workspace get a working copy of the nodes that should
> appear under the root node?
> I'm assuming the root node has no child nodes after
> being created.
merge, update, clone bring existing nodes into a
workspace.
since workspace management & creation as
"repository admin tasks" are not specified in
jsr-170, it is up to the repository to eg. provide
"tag-based"-workspaces, that dynamically
populate the workspace with nodes from a repository.
[the basic mechanics should be provided with the
above methods though...]
this is most certainly something that would be a
welcome extension to jackrabbit.

regards,
david
standardize your content-repository !