jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Enhancement/Extension of JCR API
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:52:26 GMT
David Nuescheler wrote:

>hi michi,
>

>>I am currently facing the problem of a repository with certain features,
>>which would be necessary but not covered by the JCR API.
>>

>when you say "would be necessary" do you mean for "general purpose"
>or just for a very specific usecase?

I guess what I am refering to could be both (please see below), but
actually I became interested in general, I mean without refering to a
specific usecase

>or let me ask differently, are you sure that this functionality would be
>considered "generic repository functionality" and not application
>functionality? what are you thinking of specifically?

it's versioning and tagging of a set of nodes (e.g. like bitkeeper is
able to do). Or does JSR-170 consider this? (sorry if I might have
overlooked something).

But as I said above I guess there will always be specific use cases
which aren't covered by the API, so it would be nice to know what the
approaches are.

>>Is there a standard way of "enhancing the API"? Or any other approach?
>>

>there are different ways to extend jackrabbit functionality either jcr
>based or jackrabbit specific.

ok.

I guess one way would be to do an explicit cast, but it doesn't seem so
nice to do that.

> it largely depends on what you want to
>achieve....

right, I often give the same answer, but now I am on the other side ;-)

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner