jackrabbit-dev mailing list archives

From David Nuescheler <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit DBPersistenceManager
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:51:50 GMT
hi wolfgang,

thanks a lot for contributing jdbc pm (persistence manager).
after taking a first look at the code that you submitted
personally i would like to have at least the
following questions answered or issues resolved before
i personally could vote +1 on the contribution. i am
convinced that all of those issues/questions can be
easily fixed/answered:

-------
first of all there seems an administrational issue
that as far as i understand with respect to the
fact that the contribution is a seperable contribution,
we would need a CLA on file from you. for a patch
this would not be necessary (please anybody correct me
if i am wrong)

---
what is the benefit of the additional abstraction using
dao, especially since the generic (abstract) datamodel
is mandated by the implementation of the pm, shouldn't
repository and jsr-170 provide such abstraction already?
personally, i would probably favour a more direct
access to the db.

---
should the empty class "MyHashmap" be removed or renamed?
as far as i understand it may be useful for future
extensibility however the classname doesn't inspire a
clear intention ;) ?

---
since you submitted a 15mb package of the entire modified
svn tree we have problems finding out what and why
exactly was added / modified (do you think it would be
possible to just send us a zip of your additions?)

---
what is the thought behind creating a dom to pass
arguments from one java method to another? was this
just a quick hack or is that a pattern?

----
to me it looks like your pm does not support multivalue
properties, references or binary values (am i wrong?).
what concerns me about that is that those are important
functional pieces of a repository.
stefan hacked up one afternoon quite a while ago
a prototype for a database driven pm, that was
able to support the full functional spectrum of a
repository and being much more lightweight at
the same time.
we are currently having internal discussion if we
should commit that as an example on how we see
an implementation of a jdbc pm that is very
lightweight, fast and simple. obviously it requires
a very abstract generic datamodel in the rdbms
too...

----
generally, i believe that the earlier proposed
changes to the pm api, with respect to allow a
pm to operate in a transactional
fashion, as you suggested, will have quite
a big impact. so i think it maybe still be
worth waiting a little bit, until the pm api
has "settled again" ;)

-------
this is probably not a complete list of
questions/comments but it could be a
starting point.

another question that i have for the entire
jackrabbit-dev-community:
since it seems like a number of people started to
implement jackrabbit pms and other
extensions that maybe are not finished, should we
create a section of the svn tree dedicated to
experimental code in general? some sort of sandbox
or proposals. experiences from other projects?

additionally, since everybody received wolfgangs
contribution, i would like to encourage everybody
to use it and share their experiences.

regards,
david